It is important to take a full backup frequently to avoid any data loss. Sometimes even a single App can cause a lot of problems to your smartphone. In this case, only the backup will help to recover data.
How to Make a Full Backup for Non-Rooted Android Phones
1) Backup Contacts, App data, Call History, Settings
If you are using Android then you must be using Google Account. And Android allows users to backup App data, Call History, SMS, and Settings using Google Account directly to Google Drive.
- Make sure you are logged in with Google Account on Android phone.
- Now open Settings.
- In settings, Go to Google > Backup.
- Turn on Google Drive backup.
- Tap on Back up now to backup App data, Call history, Contacts, and Device settings. If Back up now option not available then go to Settings > Accounts > Google Account > Account Sync. Then tap on three-dot and select sync now.
- That all you have to do for backup. Now when you log in using the same account on a new phone or new ROM the backup will be automatically restored.
2) Backup Messages
First, you need to install this app from Google Play Store so you can backup all your messages.
- install SMS Backup & Restore from Google Play Store.
- Open the App and tap ‘Set up a Backup’.
- Tap Next and select the backup location. You can also use Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive.
- Tap Next > Create Backup and wait for backup completion
- To save the backup transfer the backup to PC. When you have to restore the message Install the app again and copy the backup from PC to phone.
- In the App go to Restore and select a preferred option like Local Backup, Google drive, etc. In local backup select the backup location and it will restore messages and call logs. Similarly, you can restore the backup from cloud storage.
4) Backup Apps Data
It’s not easy to backup Apps data without Root But with the help of an app called Helium which was previously known as Carbon is making it possible.
- Install Helium Backup App from Play Store.
- In computer download Helium and install it.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Android Phone.
- Download and Install ADB Drivers on your PC.
- Open Helium App on both Android phones and computers.
- Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Now it will ask for Debugging permission on phone, tap on ‘Allow USB Debugging’.
- Now you will see a right tick on Helium App on PC, it means you have enabled backup option. You can now disconnect your phone from the computer. This process you have repeat every time you reboot your phone.
- Copy the backup to PC, so that you can copy and restore the backup in a new device or new ROM. Always copy the backup in the Carbon folder on the phone.
- To restore just Install the App of which you want to restore the backup. And In the Helium App go to Restore & Sync and select the App data to restore.
5) Backup Media and Other files
To back up files like Videos, documents, Pictures, Compressed files, etc… It is recommended to transfer these files on PC using USB Cable.
Although you have always an alternative option to back up these data which Cloud backup. For cloud backup, you can use Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, or any other cloud service.
How to Make a Full Backup For Rooted Android Phones
If you have a rooted Android Phone, then to make a full backup of Android phones becomes easier. You can backup almost everything in Rooted phones.
There are some well-known Apps which only works on rooted phones and used for backup purpose. Here we will use Titanium backup, which is the best backup app for rooted phones from our perspective.
- Install Titanium Backup App from Play Store.
- Open the app and grant root permission.
- Go to the Backup/Restore section and tap on right-tick on the top right corner alongside the search icon.
- Select “Backup all user apps + system data” and choose which app you want to backup. You can select all the Apps.
- Tap on the right-tick icon on the top right corner to backup Apps with data.
- The backup file will be saved in the TitaniumBackup folder, so copy the backup to PC to restore if your phone is formatted.
- To restore copy back the backup file in the TitaniumBackup folder and restore the available Backups. It will restore App and data both.
Note: To make a full backup for Contacts, App Data, Call History, Contacts, Settings, and Internal storage follow the guide in the non-rooted section.